Sunday, July 11, 2010

red wheat berry cereal

I'm always on the lookout for tasty whole-grain breakfasts. Here is one our family loves!

Photobucket

1 cup red wheat berries
honey, nutmeg, cinnamon
Berries, apples, walnuts, raisins, craisins...whatever topping suits you
Yogurt topping (plain yogurt, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla extract)

Soak wheat berries overnight. (My friend eats them in the morning without boiling them. I did not notice much of a difference after having boiled them for about 30 minutes. So, you decide!)

I did not measure for the yogurt, just made it according to taste. When the wheat berries are done squeeze two or so teaspoons of honey, then sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon. Add your toppings and enjoy.

My favorite version of this was made with apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, honey and walnuts. The options are endless.

1 comment:

  1. This looks divine. I hate cold cereal so this is a perfect alternative.

    ReplyDelete